Bewilderbeest Ltd (“We”) is a limited company, registered in the United Kingdom. The company is owned by Iain and Madeleine Hamilton. We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We are also committed to being transparent with you about what data we collect, which third parties we need to share that data with, and how we treat your personal information.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
There is a lot of information that we need to include in this policy, so if anything is unclear or you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Your Privacy is Important to us
This notice informs you how we use the information you give us and how we protect your privacy. It also explains your rights under the UK Data Protection Act (update 2018), and the EU General Data Protection Regulations 2018. We abide by UK Law and our data protection regulator within the UK is the Information Commissioners Office.
The purpose of collecting information
We offer services and products to our customers. To provide these, we may need to collect personal data such as name, address and contact details. We will only collect and hold any data that we require for a specific purpose, as explained in this policy.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Your information may be used to introduce you to the services we offer, to help with ongoing administration, or to contact you with any review or changes that are applicable, for our own business research and analysis.
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us, or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To fulfil any orders that you place on our site (processing payments, shipping your order etc).
Withholding of the required data may result in an insufficient service being provided.
We may obtain data from individual customers or from employer firms.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
You may also notice that a pop up appears on our website asking you whether you wish to opt in to our cookies policy.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Sharing your data
We may have to share your data with third parties, including third-party service providers (to take payments, ship and process orders, for example). We require third parties to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We may transfer your personal information outside the EU. If we do, you can expect a similar degree of protection in respect of your personal information.
You agree that we have the right to share your personal information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, but only for the performance of any contract we enter into with you
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. Note: We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we will provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in NG3). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
- We may verify your identity by searching publicly available records held by credit reference agencies.
We will not sell or share your information with any other third parties, unless we have obtained additional consent from you.
Buying products on our site (Woo Commerce)
We use Woo Commerce to run the shop on the website. In order to do this, there is some information we need in order to be able to process orders. Woo Commerce will collect this information:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
- Shipping address: we’ll ask you to enter this so we can, for instance, estimate shipping before you place an order, and send you the order!
When you purchase from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number, credit card/payment details and optional account information like username and password. We’ll use this information for purposes, such as, to:
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your account for our store
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
If you create an account, we will store your name, address, email and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders.
We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for 5 years for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing and shipping addresses. We will also store comments or reviews, if you choose to leave them.
Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both the Directors and Admin Support can access:
- Order information, such as what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
Our team members have access to this information to help fulfill orders, process refunds and to provide a good service to you.
What we share with others
In order to process your orders, we work with third parties to help us do this – such as for processing payments, shipping your order, sending emails about your orders etc.
Information shared with a payment providers to process payments includes:
- Unique payment identifier
- Payment provider identifier
We accept payments through PayPal. When processing payments, some of your data will be passed to PayPal, including information required to process or support the payment, such as the purchase total and billing information.
We also accept payments through Stripe. When processing payments, some of your data will be passed to Stripe, including information required to process or support the payment, such as the purchase total and the billing information.
Shipping your order:
We use an inventory software called Veeqo Ltd to help us manage our inventory and our orders. When an order is placed on our site, the order information is stored in our secure account on Veeqo Ltd. The following information about the order is stored in Veeqo, for the purposes of assigning the products you have ordered and preparing them to be shipped:
Name, Contact Details, Shipping Address, Billing Address, Items purchased. Your payment information (credit card details etc) is not shared with Veeqo Ltd.
We work with a 3PL company (Set In Hand Ltd) who process and ship most of our orders. The 3PL access the information about your order in Veeqo Ltd, and then send the order as requested. The following information is shared with Set In Hand (via the secure portal on Veeqo) so that they can process and ship your order: Name, Contact Details, Shipping Address, Billing Address, Items purchased. Your payment information is not shared. Set In Hand are part of UKWA (UK Warehousing Association) and operate according to the UKWA terms and conditions. Please see the UKWA Terms and Conditions Policy for more details.
Where an order is not sent by the 3PL company, it will be sent with the most appropriate delivery company. This may be Interparcel, Royal Mail, DHL, DPD, Hermes or others (depending on the most appropriate options available) to ship your order. We will share the following information in order to purchase the postage required: Name, Address, Email Address, Phone Number, Products purchased and value of goods. Once your order has been shipped, you will be notified so that you know which delivery company is delivering your order, and what the tracking information is (if applicable).
Emails/ Mailing List
If you have opted in to receive emails from Bewilderbeest Ltd, you may receive them via the email provider that we use called Omnisend. The information stored about you may include Name, email address, products added to your basked, products purchased, visits to the site, pages visited, for example. The data is stored to provide the best possible experience for you on the site, and to ensure you only receive any email marketing that is relevant to you and you have opted in to. Of course you can unsubscribe from emails at any time by either clicking “unsubscribe” in an email from us, or emailing us to notify us that you wish to unsubscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
We also use a third party called Bonjoro (A wholly owned brand of Vimily Pty Ltd) who provide us with a video marketing service. We input customers’ email addresses into Bonjoro, which enables us to record a personalised video for you and send it straight to your inbox.
Your rights regarding your data
- We will not hold your information for any longer than is necessary and as a maximum no longer than 5 years after you have terminated as a customer of our business, unless there is a lawful basis for retention
- Should your data be inaccurate we will rectify this without delay
- Should you wish us to delete your data at any point, please contact us as shown further below to make the request. This will be actioned unless there is a lawful basis for us to retain the information in which case you will be advised accordingly
- Should you wish to transfer your data to another organisation, please contact the office as below and we will organise this for you
- You can request access to your data at any time. We will provide you with a full copy within one month of your request
- You can withdraw consent to us holding and processing your information at any time. Please contact the office as below should you wish to do this
- We may provide you with updates and bulletins which are appropriate to your service on an ongoing basis – this will be explained to you if it is applicable. You can opt out of these should you wish to – please contact us and advise us if you wish to do so.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. This includes secure socket layer (SSL) technology to ensure your details are safe and information you provide is fully encrypted so that it cannot be read by third parties. Your browser will confirm that you are shopping in a secure environment by showing a locked padlock icon or an image of a key in the bar as the base of your screen.
In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact email@example.com in writing.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Right to withdraw consent
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal information for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org . Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
We are required under the Regulations to obtain your consent to our collection, processing, sharing and holding of your personal data. Please ensure you have read this notice fully and accept all that it contains. If you have any queries, please contact us directly. Please contact us should you not be able to read or understand this notice sufficiently.
The contents of this site and other publications from Bewilderbeest are owned or licensed to Iain and Madeleine Hamilton, or are used with permission by the owner. Reproduction strictly by permission only.
York House, Church Road, Elmswell, Suffolk, IP30 9DY